Asian Journal of Surgery, Volume (38), No (2), Year (2015-2) , Pages (1-27)

Title : ( The role of prophylactic Cefazolin in the prevention of infection after various types of abdominal wall hernia repair with mesh )

Authors: Mostafa Mehrabi Bahar , Azadeh Jabbari Nooghabi , Mehdi Jabbari Nooghabi , Ali Jangjoo ,

Citation: BibTeX | EndNote

Objective: There are controversies about the benefits of prophylactic antibiotics in prevention of postoperative surgical site infection in mesh herniorrhaphy for a long time. This study aimed to evaluate the effectiveness and efficacy of systemic prophylactic Cefazolin in prevention of wound infection in various types of hernia repair with mesh materials. Methods: We evaluated wound infection rates in 395 patients with various kinds of hernia who underwent elective mesh repair using polypropylene mesh from 2007 to 2011. Twenty hundred thirty seven (60.0%) patients received prophylactic Cefazolin as the study group and the other 158 (40.0%) with no prophylactic antibiotics were allocated to the control group.Patients were followed for infection at 10 and 30 days, 12 months after operation and annually for at least 2 years by an independent surgeon. Results: Eight (2.03%) patients had infection in the site of surgery (2, 1.27% in control and 6, 2.53% in study groups). The distribution of infection was not significantly different between two groups (p=0.364). The superficial infections were managed by drainage and irrigation. One patient from study group developed deep surgical site infection that was readmitted and underwent antibiotic therapy, drainage and debridement. Conclusion: Preoperative administration of single-dose Cefazolin for prosthetic hernia repairs did not markedly decrease the risk of wound infection. Our results do not support use of Cefazolin as a prophylactic antibiotic for various kinds of abdominal wall hernia repair with mesh.

Keywords

Hernia; Ventral; Herniorrhaphy; Surgical Mesh; Antibiotic Prophylaxis;
برای دانلود از شناسه و رمز عبور پرتال پویا استفاده کنید.

@article{paperid:1045553,
author = {Mostafa Mehrabi Bahar and Azadeh Jabbari Nooghabi and Jabbari Nooghabi, Mehdi and Ali Jangjoo},
title = {The role of prophylactic Cefazolin in the prevention of infection after various types of abdominal wall hernia repair with mesh},
journal = {Asian Journal of Surgery},
year = {2015},
volume = {38},
number = {2},
month = {February},
issn = {1015-9584},
pages = {1--27},
numpages = {26},
keywords = {Hernia; Ventral; Herniorrhaphy; Surgical Mesh; Antibiotic Prophylaxis; Infection},
}

[Download]

%0 Journal Article
%T The role of prophylactic Cefazolin in the prevention of infection after various types of abdominal wall hernia repair with mesh
%A Mostafa Mehrabi Bahar
%A Azadeh Jabbari Nooghabi
%A Jabbari Nooghabi, Mehdi
%A Ali Jangjoo
%J Asian Journal of Surgery
%@ 1015-9584
%D 2015

[Download]